Homes evacuated as 'suspicious package' found in Hove

Army bomb experts and police were at he scene in Hove (Photograph: Eddie Mitchell)
Army bomb experts and police were at he scene in Hove (Photograph: Eddie Mitchell)

Sussex Police has evacuated around 100 homes and set up a 100-metre cordon in Hove after a 'suspicious package' was found.

Police said a package was left outside the gates of the Cadet Centre in Marimon Road, Hove, at 6pm on Wednesday (July 5).

Explosive Ordnance Disposal at the scene in Hove (Photograph: Eddie Mitchell)

Explosive Ordnance Disposal at the scene in Hove (Photograph: Eddie Mitchell)

Homes in Stoneham Road and the surrounding area were evacuated as a precaution. Others outside the cordon have been told to stay indoors.

Police said no one was in the cadet centre building.

The Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) unit arrived at the scene to inspect the package earlier this evening.

Just before 10pm, Sussex Police said: "Incident in Hove resolved and all residents can now return to their homes."

Police evacuated Stoneham Road and surrounding areas (Photograph: Eddie Mitchell)

Police evacuated Stoneham Road and surrounding areas (Photograph: Eddie Mitchell)

Detective Chief Inspector Alasdair Henry said: "We would like to thank local residents for their patience and understanding this evening while this incident was dealt with. The cordon was placed around the area as a safety precaution while we waited for the EOD unit to arrive and inspect the package.

"We are now satisfied that this is not a suspicious package and have lifted the cordons and road closures."