Man suffers burns in Hove kitchen fire

Firefighters at the scene of the fire in Hove (Photograph: Eddie Mitchell)
Firefighters at the scene of the fire in Hove (Photograph: Eddie Mitchell)

An elderly man was taken to hospital to be treated for burns, after a kitchen fire believed to have been started by a deep fat fryer.

Four fire engines were called to The Drive, Hove, at 7.53pm yesterday (April 6), to reports of a kitchen fire in a ground-floor flat.

The scene of the fire in Hove (Photograph: Eddie Mitchell)

The scene of the fire in Hove (Photograph: Eddie Mitchell)

Last night, an East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: “Crews attended a kitchen fire in Hove earlier this evening believed to have been started by a deep fat fryer. An elderly male has been taken to hospital where he is being treated for burn injuries.

“East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service would like to take this opportunity to remind the public about using kitchen appliances in accordance with manufacturers guidelines.

“If a fire occurs get out, stay out and call the fire service - never attempt to deal with the fire yourself. You should never use water to attempt to put out a fire started by a deep fat fryer.”

Firefighters tackled the fire last night, which had spread across four floors, including the basement.