Recipe for cosy comfort food Welsh Rarebit
With chillier weather upon us, we are all craving some comfort food, and this delicious recipe for Welsh Rarebit from Jason's Sourdough is the perfect antidote to the winter blues.
Created in partnership with food blogger, Lucy Birkbeck, and made with Jason’s Sourdough, this is the perfect recipe for a speedy yet warming lunch, or a comforting dinner to enjoy on a cosy evening in. Layered with honey roasted ham, oozing cheddar cheese and a delicious homemade sauce, it is sure to hit the spot.
To make Welsh Rarebit to serve one you’ll need:
For the sauce:
1 tbsp of butter
1 tbsp plain flour
1 tbsp of stout or a strong ale
150g of grated cheddar (plus 50g extra for topping)
1 tsp English mustard
3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp yeast extract
For the rarebit:
2 slices of Jason’s Sourdough, we use white in this recipe
Butter, for spreading
2 slices of honey roasted ham
100g grated cheddar cheese
1. Melt the butter in a saucepan on medium heat. Add in the flour and stir repeatedly for around 2 minutes.
2. Gradually stir in the ale or stout, until a smooth sauce forms.
3. Remove the pan from the heat and place on a heatproof mat. Stir in the grated cheese, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and yeast extract.
4. Season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper and set aside for now.
5. Toast and butter two slices of Jason’s Sourdough and lay them on a baking tray.
6. Top the toast with the honey roasted ham, pour over the cheesy sauce and layer with more grated cheese.
7. Place under the grill, and cook until the cheese is melted and the rarebit is browned and bubbling. Enjoy!
Recipe created by Lucy Birkbeck (birkbites) in partnership with Jason’s Sourdough
A message from the Editor, Gary Shipton:
In order for us to continue to provide high quality and trusted local news, I am asking you to please purchase a copy of our newspapers.
With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our local valued advertisers - and consequently the advertising that we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you helping us to provide you with news and information by buying a copy of our newspapers.