Taxi firm Uber was told its bid to renew its operator's licence in Brighton and Hove had been rejected today (May 1).
Brighton and Hove City Council said concerns over the company’s data breach and Uber’s 'lack of commitment' to use only Brighton and Hove licensed drivers in the city was behind the decision.
Local taxi firms rallied against the app-based company at last week's licensing panel meeting, but some residents put their case forward as to why they think the app should stay.
We spoke to Brighton and Hove residents to find out what they made of the news.
Cab driver David Johnson, 51, said: “It’s fantastic, but they’ll [Uber] still appeal."
“They were coming from London and all over the place,” he said of Uber drivers.
Independent cab driver Hamed, 31, said: “Business will be better. They [Uber] have the right to appeal, but I hope it doesn’t go through.”
Louise Murray, 22, didn’t like Uber. She said: “I wouldn’t ever use one personally.”
Grace Harwood was also unmoved by the loss of the company’s presence in Brighton. She said: “I don’t really use Uber.”
Matthew Kubisa, 27, wished the licence had been renewed: “It’s bad for the industry and bad that consumer competition is being driven out of the market.”
Tony Guillou, 24, thought it was a shame the company can’t renew its licence. He said: “It’s easier with Uber; it’s cheaper to use.”
Peter Kyle, the Labour MP for Hove took to Twitter, and said: "So proud of Brighton and Hove Council. Uber refused to play by the rules or honour their promises so the council have rightly kicked them out of town.
"It’s time to sort taxi regulation once and for all and end this postcode lottery over passenger safety."
But Brighton Palace Pier owner Luke Johnson, took aim at the council, said on Twitter: "The socialist republic of Brighton wants to prevent competition and force citizens to pay more for old fashioned cabs.
"Vested interests win again, while the public loses."
Uber has 21 days to appeal the decision.