Brighton man starts 24-year prison sentence for 1970s child sex offences

A 71-year-old Brighton man has started his jail sentence for child sex offences that took place in the 1970s.

Tuesday, 13th July 2021, 6:17 pm
Hove Crown Court

Robert Borrer, of Birdham Road, was sentenced at Hove Crown Court yesterday (Monday, 12 July), having previously admitted three counts of rape and six of indecent assault against the girl, then aged between nine and 15, during the 1970s, police say.

Sussex Police say he will be a registered sex offender indefinitely and was also given a sexual harm prevention order to last until further court notice. This order severely restricts his access to children.

Detective constable Tom Perry, of the Brighton & Hove Safeguarding Investigation Unit, said, Borrer’s victim ‘suffered lifelong emotional trauma and suffering as a result of this dreadful experience but recently was able to summon up the resolution to tell us what had happened, which enable us to start an investigation and to achieve justice and some measure of closure or her’.

DC Perry said, “Borrer eventually pleaded guilty, saving her the further ordeal of giving evidence against him in court, but she would have been ready to do so had it been necessary.

“We will always follow up such reports and give victims access to sources of advice and support. If you or anyone you know has been victim of such offending, contact us at any time and arrange to talk to experienced investigators.”

For information about reporting child abuse see the Sussex Police website.