Brighton men jailed for attack on 'innocent man walking home from a funeral'

Brandon Gunn (left) and Joseph Randall (right)
Brandon Gunn (left) and Joseph Randall (right)

Two men have been jailed for a 'vicious and unprovoked attack' which left a Hove man with a broken jaw, police said.

The victim was returning home from a funeral when the attack took place, according to officers.

Sussex Police said Brandon Gunn, 20, formerly of North Road, Brighton and Joseph Randall, 19, formerly of Barcombe Road, Brighton, had denied causing grievous bodily harm with intent and affray.

But they were found guilty following a trial at Lewes Crown Court, and each handed a nine-year prison sentence on October 31, police said.

The court heard that the pair were 'spoiling for a fight' as they walked along Olive Road on the evening of April 28 last year.

Sussex Police said: "They started an argument with a man and his cousin who were returning home from a funeral.

"They punched their 36-year-old victim to the ground and then kicked him in the face breaking his jaw in several places.

"He has undergone four operations and has metal plates in his jaw.

"The court was told that the attack on him had shattered his confidence and his cousin, who was also threatened by the men, was so traumatised she had left her job as a nurse."

Police added that a17-year-old Hove girl, who cannot be named for legal reasons, who was with the pair when they carried out the assault, was also charged with causing grievous bodily harm (GBH) with intent and affray. She denied both offences and was found guilty of affray but not guilty of GBH, police said. She was sentenced to 60 hours of unpaid work and a 12-month youth rehabilitation order.

Three witnesses who stopped and intervened during the attack were praised by the judge for their actions and recommended for £250 High Sheriff's awards.

After the sentencing, Detective Constable Rachel Piggott said: "This was an extremely violent attack on an innocent man walking home from a funeral.

"Gunn and Randall launched a vicious assault on their defenceless victim, which has affected him physically and mentally.

"They have showed no remorse throughout and by denying the offence put their victim through the ordeal of having to give evidence. However the jury did not believe them and they are now off the streets and behind bars."