The Home Office said 17 people had been arrested at an immigration raid in Brighton yesterday (May 7).
Immigration officers were assisted by Sussex Police as the site was closed for the day.
The £130 million project by developer U+I is set to include 142 new homes, 450 student bedrooms, 30,000 sq ft of office space and workshops on the site of the old fruit and veg market.
Read more: Work begins on 'new cultural quarter' for Brighton
The Home Office confirmed 17 men had been arrested for immigration offences, and they had presented themselves as Albanian, Indian, Ukrainian and Kazakhstani.
A spokesperson from U+I said: “U+I is committed to ethical practice and our contracts with construction contractors require that they abide by employment and immigration law and that all site personnel are qualified to come on site. We are aware that Home Office officials have visited the site this morning, and we are unable to provide any further details until their investigation is complete.’’
Yesterday (May 7), a spokesperson from Henry Construction said: “There has been an investigation by the Home Office and we have fully complied with it and are awaiting the findings. The site has closed for the day, but it will be back to business as usual tomorrow morning.”