New images of suspects in Brighton city centre assaults investigation

Police in Brighton have released CCTV images of men they want to talk to about attacks on women in the city centre, details of which were first released during October.

Wednesday, 20th November 2019, 6:16 pm
Police have released these images of the two suspects. Images courtesy of Sussex Police SUS-191120-181345001

Shortly before 1am on Sunday, October 20 a 20-year-old local woman had finished work and was walking east along the seafront side of Kings Road, Brighton by the i360 when she was approached by a man who first tried to engage her in conversation and then sexually assaulted her.

Police said she resisted and after a short while he walked away westwards.

Police said the man seen in the CCTV still image (to the right) is described as about 5ft 10ins tall, in his mid-30s, of tanned or dark complexion, with dark hair and wearing a white tracksuit top and blue jeans.

The other attack which police have released a CCTV image of a man they would like to talk to about happened shortly after 6.25pm on Saturday, October 5.

Sussex Police said an 18-year-old woman was sitting on a bench outside All Bar One in the Pavilion Buildings area just outside Pavilion Gardens in the city centre, when she was approached by a man who had just come from Pavilion Gardens, where he had been talking to two women on the grass, leaving by the India Gate.

He first engaged the woman in conversation then grabbed her and kissed her on the lips. She pushed him away and ran off, very shaken but unhurt, police said.

The man (pictured left) was described as black, slim, about 6ft tall, wearing a black hooded puffa jacket.

Detective Sergeant Jack Sagar, of the Brighton Safeguarding Investigations Unit, said: “If you can help identify these men please get in touch right away by calling 101 or report online quoting Operation Downgate. However in an emergency dial 999.”

Operation Downgate is the ongoing police investigation into five offences in which women were sexually assaulted in Brighton city centre.

Police have previously released CCTV footage and stills of men they want to talk to.

Police said throughout the investigation detectives have been considering possible links between the offences, including the consideration that the same person could have been responsible for all the attacks.

Further detailed enquiries, including information from victims, further CCTV images and information from the public leads the police to conclude that not all the attacks are linked and therefore were not all carried out by the same person.

DS Sagar said: “The last of these offences occurred on 20 October but our investigations continue. In addition our officers continue to pay attention to the areas involved. Anyone who may have been approached, or has information that they have not previously reported please contact the police.”