Teen who was tasered in Brighton after 100mph police chase is jailed

Sussex Police said a teenager who led officers on a 'high-speed pursuit' which ended in Preston Park has been jailed.

Tuesday, 5th March 2019, 10:10 am
Updated Tuesday, 5th March 2019, 11:15 am
Connor MackayConnor Mackay, 18,

Connor Mackay, 18, was tasered as he attempted to run from officers following the incident on Sunday, February 3, police said.

After an early-morning police chase from Newhaven to Brighton, police said MacKay was tasered after driving into Preston Park, making off on foot and then picking up a rock and turning towards officers.

A Sussex Police spokesperson said: "Around 2.26am that day, a silver Mercedes A-Class activated an ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition) camera on the A27 eastbound at Lewes. It was believed to have been stolen.

"It was pursued onto the A26 southbound towards Newhaven, where it failed to stop for police.

"A further unit on patrol in Rottingdean prepared a Stop Stick – a device designed to deflate a vehicle’s tyres – however the Mercedes avoided it by driving on the wrong side of the road. Officers estimated it was travelling at an approximate speed of 80mph at this stage.

"The vehicle was pursued into the city at a safe distance, and was monitored to reach speeds in excess of 100mph in a 30mph zone.

"Following a series of dangerous manoeuvres, including speeding, driving through red lights and failing to give way at junctions, the Mercedes then drove off-road into Preston Park, where two young men decamped.

"Officers gave chase and the pair were arrested in a garden in nearby Preston Park Avenue.

"The first suspect, identified as a 16-year-old boy from Brighton – who cannot be named for legal reasons – was detained by the scruff of the neck.

"The second suspect, identified as Connor Mackay, 18, from St Leonards, ignored armed officers’ orders to stop. He appeared to pick up a rock and turn towards officers, and he was subsequently tasered and detained.

"Repeated welfare checks were made on him before he was eventually arrested. He also received treatment by paramedics."

Police said the pair were remanded in custody and interviewed that day. The 16-year-old was released without charge due to insufficient evidence.

But Sussex Police said Mackay was recalled to prison, having breached the terms of his licence in relation to a burglary in Brighton in June 2018, which he was convicted of.

He was further charged with dangerous driving, driving while disqualified and driving with no insurance, and was convicted of these offences at Hove Crown Court on Monday (4 March), police said.

Mackay was sentenced to 22 months’ imprisonment in a Young Offender Institution and disqualified from driving for 35 months from the date of his release.