Two assaults in Brighton ‘could be linked’

Police are still investigating the incident
Police are still investigating the incident

Police believe two Brighton assaults which left a total of five men hospitalised could be linked.

Officers said the incidents took place in Brighton just after midnight on Sunday, August 12.

Sussex Police said: “A man was assaulted on Castle Square. The 23-year-old was talking on the phone when he was approached by three men and was threatened with a knife after demanding his phone. He was then kicked and punched by the three men. The victim was treated at the Royal Sussex County Hospital for cuts and bruises to his face.

“This assault is being linked to a similar one a few minutes earlier in Prince’s Street, just off Edward Street, where four men were assaulted and injured by five men. The victims were taken to hospital with minor injuries.”

Detective constable Chris Clarke said: “We believe these two assaults might be linked and we are appealing to anyone who was in the Old Steine area around midnight on Sunday who might have seen something to get in touch.

“One of the suspects was described as black, between 18 and 20-years-old, 5’ 10”, with a crew-cut style haircut, skinny build, London accent, wearing navy Adidas tracksuit with white stripe, black rucksack and police style-baton.

“Another male was described as white, 5’ 9”, average build, about 19, crew cut style hair, grey hoodie, tracksuit bottoms and a London accent.”

Anyone with information or witnesses is asked to contact police online quoting serials 39 or 6 of 12/08.