Hove chimney fire sparks safety warning

Firefighters have issued advice over the upkeep of chimneys, after a fire at a flat in Hove.

Thursday, 22nd December 2016, 10:21 am
Updated Thursday, 29th December 2016, 3:19 pm
Fire & Rescue East Sussex SUS-150522-132511001

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service was called a chimney fire at a flat in Brunswick Square at 5.26pm last night (December 21).

The Hove firefighters put out the blaze and gave advice to the occupiers.

A fire service spokesperson said: “Chimneys should be swept regularly to ensure they are safe. Be careful when using open fires to keep warm. Make sure you always use a fire guard to protect against flying sparks from hot embers. Ensure the fire is extinguished before going to bed or leaving the house.”

For more advice, visit: www.esfrs.org/chimneys/