Madeira Terrace renovation project gets £2 million boost

Madeira Terraces
Madeira Terraces

A project to revive the crumbling Madeira Terraces east of the pier has been handed a £2 million boost.

Brighton and Hove City Council pledged the cash from its capital reserves, which will be added to the £460,000 raised through crowdfunding. This comes after two unsuccessful Heritage Lottery Fund bids by the council.

The council has also set up a Madeira Terrace advisory panel, bringing together a mix of community representatives to work alongside the council in the restoration.

More than 40 people attended last week’s meeting and speakers included the Regency Society, the Save Madeira Terrace Raffle Group and Building Green, a team of volunteers restoring the green wall.

Nick Hibberd, the council’s executive director for economy, environment and culture, said: “I’d like to thank everyone who came for their commitment and enthusiasm for this unique heritage asset.

“Community input is crucial to making the restoration a success and the advisory panel will open up a practical way for those interested to stay involved and help place their vision at the heart of the restoration.

“We don’t underestimate the challenge of restoring 865m of a Victorian structure exposed to coastal weather and the resources we will need, but we can achieve our shared goals by working together and making things happen.”

The council said regenerating the arches will provide ‘a new future for the eastern seafront along Madeira Drive’.

A progress report will be taken to the next tourism committee on June 20 when councillors will discuss the next steps, including the need for a specialist design team to give a better understanding of the actual costs of achieving the restoration.