Police apology after incorrect report of weapons at Brighton and Palace clash
Sussex Police has apologised to Brighton and Hove Albion and Crystal Palace, after an incorrect report of weapons being found following the derby match.
There were six arrests on the night of the clash last week (November 28), and the officer leading the policing operation said it was ‘the most challenging football-related disorder that I have ever experienced'.
But Sussex Police said today (December 7): “The reference to weapons being found discarded at the stadium following the Brighton v Crystal Palace match on November 28 was based on information logged by our officers on the night and done so in good faith.
“Subsequently, it has been established that no such items were physically recovered at the stadium or in the city. We accept that this information was incorrect and the tweet published earlier today by one of our officers was wrong.
“Sussex Police apologises to both clubs and their supporters.”
For Sussex Police's initial statement after the match, click here.