Developer of King Alfred site in Hove asks for ‘more time’

The designs for the King Alfred Centre from Kingsway
The designs for the King Alfred Centre from Kingsway

The developer behind plans for a new leisure centre and 560 flats at the King Alfred site in Hove remains committed, the council said, but has asked for ‘a little more time’ to consider the viability of the scheme.

Crest Nicholson, which is working with local charity the Starr Trust on the plans, was asked by the council to confirm this week whether it would sign a developer agreement for the scheme before the year’s end.

The King Alfred Leisure Centre during a storm last year

The King Alfred Leisure Centre during a storm last year

This comes after Crest admitted to the Brighton & Hove Independent last year that rising costs and uncertainty around Brexit meant there was a funding gap for the £200m project.

Related stories: King Alfred developers bid for £15m to fill funding gap

King Alfred developers win £15m funding

A spokesperson for Brighton and Hove City Council said: “The council wrote to the developer earlier this month to ask them to confirm their commitment to the delivery of the King Alfred scheme.

“We have received a response from Crest that restates their commitment but which is seeking a little more time to further update their viability appraisals. The council continues to be in contact with them and we are expecting a more detailed response shortly.

“In parallel with the developer’s ongoing viability review, the council will meet with them to agree options for progressing delivery of the scheme. We remain committed to ensuring a scheme which delivers a new leisure centre and pool complex for Hove alongside a significant housing development.”

The council said a further update would go before the policy, resources and growth committee on December 6.

Crest Nicholson has been contacted for a comment.