A house and stables in Saltdean will be demolished to make way for a housing development, after the council’s refusal of the plan was overturned at appeal.
Proposals by Hyde New Homes include 32 homes on the site of 6 Falmer Avenue in Saltdean, with open space, a new access road and parking.
Hyde said 40 per cent of the homes would be affordable, for rent or shared ownership.
Brighton and Hove City Council refused the initial application last year over the design of the scheme. Councillors on the planning committee had concerns over ‘its effect on the character of the local area and surroundings’, as the site neighbours the South Downs. There were also around 200 objections to the scheme from residents.
The matter went to appeal in November last year, and planning inspector Kenneth Stone published his decision last week (February 21).
He found that the development, which was on the ‘urban fringe’ of the city, would not cause ‘material harm to air quality, traffic hazards of neighbouring amenity’ and approved the scheme.
A Hyde spokesperson said: “We welcome the inspector’s findings and are especially pleased the inspectorate agreed with us that the development design for 32 family homes was ‘high quality, appropriate and well-conceived’. We know the need for new homes is high and we are delighted The Hyde Group is playing its part in the local community with these much needed family homes. It is hoped construction will begin later in 2017.”
Hyde also made an application for the council to cover its costs - which was refused by the planning inspector.