Brighton and Hove City Council has said it expects a group of travellers which pitched up on Hove Lawn last week to leave today (June 18).
The encampment, which according to the council includes 15 trailers, is on an area protected by a Public Space Protection Order (PSPO).
The PSPO means the council can order any vehicle, caravan, tent or other structure to be removed from protected areas within 12 hours.
But Conservative councillor Andrew Wealls said the group were told to move on Friday, and that he was told no council officers who could issue fines to those breaking the PSPOs were working over the weekend.
“What’s the point in having it?” he said. “And if it’s outside of working hours you can basically get away with it.”
A Brighton and Hove City Council spokesperson said: “The group of 15 trailers arrived on Thursday night.
“We expect the group to leave today but, if necessary, will take legal steps to ensure they do.”
The PSPO covers a number of public parks and spaces in Brighton and Hove, including the seafront from Hove Lagoon to Black Rock.
The order prevents any vehicles, caravans or tents being pitched on the protected areas, as well as driving vehicles on grass, littering or fly tipping, lighting or maintaining a fire and defecating or urinating.
The PSPO came into effect on January 1, 2017 and remain in place until December 21, 2019.