Warning to ‘take care in the kitchen’ after Brighton fire

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service
East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service

Firefighters have issued safety advice for the kitchen after a blaze in a Brighton home yesterday (October 7).

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service was called to Barnett Road, Brighton at 7.17pm after reports of a small fire in an oven.

Two fire crews were sent to the property, and after making the scene safe they carried out a Home Safety Visit and advice was given to the resident.

Related stories: Portslade kitchen fire sparks safety warning

High-rise flat fire caused by candle

The fire service said an online poll of 329 people found that in East Sussex, cooking and electrical fires are top of the list for causes of fires at home.

Burnt food is often a major culprit of house fires, when people become distracted by their busy lives, the research found.

Tea towels and other items left on the cooker are also an issue.

It’s survey also found that many tried to put the fire out themselves instead of calling 999.

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service gave the following advice:

- Protect your home with working smoke alarms – install smoke alarms on every level and test them every week

- Take extra care in the kitchen – over 50% of accidental fires in the home start in the kitchen

- Checking your electrics – Check and maintain your electrical appliances – you can also register them for recall information

– Smoke safe – put them out, right out

- Make sure you sleep safe – a bedtime safety routine can reduce the risk of fire whilst you are asleep

– Plan a safe escape – make sure you know how to get out of your home in an emergency