Young Swedish striker Gyokeres could feature for Brighton in FA Cup clash at Bournemouth

Brighton & Hove Albion boss Chris Hughton has praised Viktor Gyokeres' development and says the under-23 forward will be in the squad for tomorrow's FA Cup clash at Bournemouth, reports James Wootton.

Friday, 4th January 2019, 8:49 am
Updated Thursday, 10th January 2019, 2:18 pm
Viktor Gyokeres. Picture by PW Sporting Photography

Gyokeres, 20, featured from the start in Brighton’s Carabao Cup clash with Southampton earlier in the season, and most recently appeared as an unused substitute in the 1-0 win against Everton.

The youngster has scored six goals in the under 23’s Premier League 2 Division 1 campaign so far this season, but has been somewhat outshone by the remarkable goalscoring form of Aaron Connelly as of late.

Speaking on Gyokeres, Hughton said: “He will be in the squad for sure. He’ll be the only what we regard as under 23 that will be in the squad.

“He’s done well. What he’s added to his game, in some ways a little bit like Jurgen (Locadia), is that he’s a number nine, that’s his strength and I think probably because of Aaron Connelly who’s an out and out number nine, we’ve used him at times around that position. Sometimes on the left, sometimes more or less a ten. So, I think what he has got in his game is a bit more variety and flexibility in where he can play.

“He was with us in the pre-season period, played in a couple of the games, but he’s developed really well. He’s got good physicality for somebody his age.”

Hughton also stated that the plan is for Gyokeres to remain an Albion player for the remainder of the season, rather than see him go out on loan.

He said: “At this moment, our thinking is more to keep him here.”

Gyokeres will hope to make an impact at the Vitality Stadium if he gets a chance as Albion aim for the fourth round.